Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Underrated < > Overrated

Is it still possible to be objective nowadays? Well, I tried to think hard and come up with the following of list of the ten most underrated and overrated films from the 1950s onwards in no particular order.

Underrated:
  • Traffic (2000);
  • Revolver (2005);
  • Waterworld (1995);
  • Carne Tremula (Live Flesh) (1997);
  • Divorzio all'Italiana (1961);
  • The Rules of Attraction (2002);
  • Dial M for Murder (1954);
  • Garden State (2004);
  • Mulholland Dr. (2001);
  • Open Water (2003).

Overrated:

  • Titanic (1999);
  • A Beautiful Mind (2001);
  • A Walk To Remember (2002);
  • Mona Lisa Smile (2003);
  • Last Tango in Paris (1972);
  • Dead Poets Society (1989);
  • The Untouchables (1987);
  • Dead Man Walking (1995);
  • Eraserhead (1977);
  • Billy Elliot (2000).

8 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

I absolutely disliked traffic - really boring [there is a long story attached to it too]. I actually think it is already overstated.

Waterworld was really good and I heard a lot about open water. I didnt get myself to see the later though.

Overrated:
Titanic was the first film to be 3 hours long in the cinema. It was the begining of a new era - you have to give the film credit for that.

A beautiful mind is a really good film. I finally understood Nash theory watching that film because its so complicated on paper that I couldnt get it [back then].

Mona Lisa Smile - it is just a nice film to watch and rewatch. It tries to show how difficult it is to change culture and way of thinking. I personally enjoyed it.

17:47

 
Blogger keBo said...

There were at least two cinematic hits before Titanic that made it to the white screen and which were more or less 3 hours long: The Godfather trilogy and the Good, the Bad and the Ugly (spaghetti western).

19:19

 
Blogger Victoria said...

thanks for the correction :)

23:04

 
Blogger Andre said...

As much as I'm repulsed by the idea of a sugary all-too-sweet romantic-ish film, I must admit that I quite liked the Titanic.

The most overrated movie ever must be the Da Vinci Code

20:37

 
Blogger keBo said...

Had it not been for all that hype revolving around the book, I would've savoured the gist of it all much more enjoyably.

01:44

 
Blogger Polong said...

a good movie, but massively under-rated would be 'wasted' .. I've seen it around 3 years ago, and i know how much it has impressed me, i suggest everyone to see it.

05:13

 
Blogger Coemgen said...

Well, I think that I would have removed A Beautiful Mind and put the Code instead.

A Beautiful Mind has an awesome message in it. It shows the world that mental illness should not stop anyone from being a star, just like Nash.

16:43

 
Blogger keBo said...

A Beautiful Mind has an awesome message in it. It shows the world that mental illness should not stop anyone from being a star, just like Nash.

It's the usual story of the misunderstood genius. And while Crowe's face may have suited Maximus and other 'physically aggressive' personalities, I found it hard to associate it with a mathematical schizophrenic genius.

15:35

 

Post a Comment

<< Home